BERLIN (AP) — An apparent headless body that prompted a major police operation in southern Germany has turned out to be a doll.
Police in Baden-Wuerttemberg state say a passer-by spotted what appeared to be a clothed but headless corpse covered in blood lying by a stream in Remstal, near Stuttgart, late Monday.
Officers cordoned off the suspected crime scene and firefighters were called to retrieve the body, which was lying in an inaccessible place.
In a statement Tuesday, police said that only once firefighters reached the site were they able to determine that it was, in fact, a doll.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen