BERLIN (AP) — An apparent headless body that prompted a major police operation in southern Germany has turned out to be a doll.
Police in Baden-Wuerttemberg state say a passer-by spotted what appeared to be a clothed but headless corpse covered in blood lying by a stream in Remstal, near Stuttgart, late Monday.
Officers cordoned off the suspected crime scene and firefighters were called to retrieve the body, which was lying in an inaccessible place.
In a statement Tuesday, police said that only once firefighters reached the site were they able to determine that it was, in fact, a doll.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Court: Sotomayor shoulder injury worse than first thought
- Student says Confederate flag theft sparked protests
- Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
- Paul Allen's team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943 VIEW
- The gaping hole in Sean Hannity's story about being Michael Cohen's client | Analysis