BERLIN (AP) — An apparent headless body that prompted a major police operation in southern Germany has turned out to be a doll.
Police in Baden-Wuerttemberg state say a passer-by spotted what appeared to be a clothed but headless corpse covered in blood lying by a stream in Remstal, near Stuttgart, late Monday.
Officers cordoned off the suspected crime scene and firefighters were called to retrieve the body, which was lying in an inaccessible place.
In a statement Tuesday, police said that only once firefighters reached the site were they able to determine that it was, in fact, a doll.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dog that survived California wildfire and guarded home for weeks is reunited with owner WATCH
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
- Michelle Obama lights up Internet with frank criticism of Facebook exec's 'lean in' mantra
- Pence aide out of running to be Trump's next chief of staff VIEW
- Drug firm can’t keep up with demand for shingles vaccine