BERLIN (AP) — An apparent headless body that prompted a major police operation in southern Germany has turned out to be a doll.
Police in Baden-Wuerttemberg state say a passer-by spotted what appeared to be a clothed but headless corpse covered in blood lying by a stream in Remstal, near Stuttgart, late Monday.
Officers cordoned off the suspected crime scene and firefighters were called to retrieve the body, which was lying in an inaccessible place.
In a statement Tuesday, police said that only once firefighters reached the site were they able to determine that it was, in fact, a doll.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- Confusion, then prayer, in cockpit of doomed Lion Air jet
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- New Zealand just banned military-style firearms. Here's why the U.S. can't.
- DNA testing helps police confirm Ted Bundy killed missing Utah teen