In Vermont, a 60-year-old man suffered an acute lung injury and was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis last year after vaping “red hot cinnamon”-flavored e-cigarettes.
MILWAUKEE — A 31-year-old West Virginia woman with no lung disease contracted what doctors say is a rare form of pneumonia after inhaling vapor from electronic cigarettes.
The woman had been vaping for about three months before being admitted to a hospital this year with a chronic cough. Soon after, she went into respiratory failure and was put on a ventilator, according to the doctors who treated her.
In Vermont, a 60-year-old man suffered an acute lung injury and was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis last year after vaping “red hot cinnamon” flavored e-cigarettes.
The two cases are among the first to surface highlighting severe lung injuries that physicians say are related to the use of e-cigarettes and other vaping devices.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- Did the Seahawks make a mistake by letting Richard Sherman go?
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
“We are all very curious about this,” said Frank Drescher, the doctor who treated the man at the White River Junction VA Hospital in Vermont. “I am certain this is an underreported diagnosis.”
A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel investigation in September found high levels of diacetyl and a second chemical known to cause permanent and sometimes fatal lung disease in locally made e-liquids and exposed inadequate testing that results in manufacturers claiming their products are diacetyl-free when sometimes they are not.
There are no requirements that manufacturers test e-liquids, nor are there any standards to meet.
Known for its links to injuries and deaths of microwave-popcorn workers, diacetyl destroys the lungs’ tiniest airways, leading to scar-tissue buildup that blocks airflow. An earlier Journal Sentinel investigation found potentially dangerous levels of the chemical in coffee-roasting facilities and exposed cases of lung disease in commercial coffee roasters and grinders.
Drescher and his colleague, Graham Atkins, who was also involved with the Vermont case, said they believe diacetyl may have played a role in their patient’s illness. They said the man first came to the hospital with weakness, chills and a cough. He was treated with antibiotics and went home three days later feeling normal.
He returned a month later with the same symptoms, this time with a fever. A CT scan showed an injury to the lungs that appeared to be related to a chemical exposure. When doctors asked the man what he had been doing, he said he had been vaping strongly flavored e-cigarettes — on both occasions before his illness.
Doctors diagnosed him with a severe allergic reaction called hypersensitivity pneumonitis — more commonly known as “farmers’ lung.” The disease was prevalent among farmers in Wisconsin in the 1970s and ’80s. It is often triggered by inhalation of dust with fungus spores from moldy hay, bird droppings or other decomposing organic compounds. It’s treatable when caught early but can cause permanent scarring and damage if exposures continue over time.
The man stopped vaping and recovered within several days. A follow-up three months later showed normal pulmonary functioning.
The case was documented in a recent issue of the journal CHEST.
A flavor called Hawaiian Blast made by Maryland-based MaddCatt was the likely culprit that sickened the woman in West Virginia, according to doctors at West Virginia University Health Sciences Center.
In an interview, the doctors said the woman had started vaping the flavor — described as a “tropical fruity mix with a touch of creaminess” — a few months earlier in an effort to quit smoking conventional cigarettes.
She arrived at the hospital and was quickly transported to the intensive-care unit, her lungs failing. Her symptoms were similar to those of hypersensitivity pneumonitis: shortness of breath, cough, weight loss and labored breathing.
But after seeing stains on her photo imaging indicating she had inhaled something fatty or oil-based, they diagnosed her with lipoid pneumonia. She remained on a ventilator for several days.
The woman recovered within about a week and was sent home with supplemental oxygen. She stopped vaping. Tests three months later showed normal pulmonary functioning.