SPRING, Texas (AP) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a man who died after he broke from police custody by shooting at deputies with a gun that had been hidden in his pants.
Sheriff’s department officials say 35-year-old Matthew Vincent Cobb was handcuffed when he broke free from custody, pulled a gun from his pants, shot a deputy and critically injured another person late Wednesday.
Police had been responding to a disturbance call between Cobb and his ex-wife. After Cobb broke free, he ran back into a house and began a standoff with deputies.
A female hostage was able to escape when SWAT members entered the house. Cobb was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump likens House impeachment inquiry to 'a lynching' VIEW
- US diplomat: Trump linked Ukraine aid to demand for probe VIEW
- ‘Are you talking to me?’ Trump’s anger on impeachment erupts
- 'You people with this phony Emoluments Clause': Cabinet meeting devolves into 71 minutes of Trump grievances
- Google Maps now shows speed traps, potentially raising the ire of law enforcement
Sheriff’s department officials did not release a cause of death pending an autopsy.