SPRING, Texas (AP) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a man who died after he broke from police custody by shooting at deputies with a gun that had been hidden in his pants.
Sheriff’s department officials say 35-year-old Matthew Vincent Cobb was handcuffed when he broke free from custody, pulled a gun from his pants, shot a deputy and critically injured another person late Wednesday.
Police had been responding to a disturbance call between Cobb and his ex-wife. After Cobb broke free, he ran back into a house and began a standoff with deputies.
A female hostage was able to escape when SWAT members entered the house. Cobb was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- Did the Seahawks make a mistake by letting Richard Sherman go?
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
Sheriff’s department officials did not release a cause of death pending an autopsy.