SPRING, Texas (AP) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a man who died after he broke from police custody by shooting at deputies with a gun that had been hidden in his pants.
Sheriff’s department officials say 35-year-old Matthew Vincent Cobb was handcuffed when he broke free from custody, pulled a gun from his pants, shot a deputy and critically injured another person late Wednesday.
Police had been responding to a disturbance call between Cobb and his ex-wife. After Cobb broke free, he ran back into a house and began a standoff with deputies.
A female hostage was able to escape when SWAT members entered the house. Cobb was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An Apple employee 'helped' a customer by texting himself an intimate photo from her phone
- Diplomats accuse Trump as impeachment hits Americans’ TVs VIEW
- No. 1 milk company declares bankruptcy amid drop in demand VIEW
- 3 cows swept out to sea by hurricane Dorian are found alive
- Nine students' deaths have USC trying to quell rumors, prevent triggering students
Sheriff’s department officials did not release a cause of death pending an autopsy.