SPRING, Texas (AP) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a man who died after he broke from police custody by shooting at deputies with a gun that had been hidden in his pants.
Sheriff’s department officials say 35-year-old Matthew Vincent Cobb was handcuffed when he broke free from custody, pulled a gun from his pants, shot a deputy and critically injured another person late Wednesday.
Police had been responding to a disturbance call between Cobb and his ex-wife. After Cobb broke free, he ran back into a house and began a standoff with deputies.
A female hostage was able to escape when SWAT members entered the house. Cobb was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Warren says her tax plan asks just 'two cents' of the super-rich. How much of a hit would they take?
- 8 Years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by Manhattan DA
- A look at the revived allegations against Justice Kavanaugh
- Correction: US-Obit-Ocasek story
- Democratic candidates demand Kavanaugh impeachment after new allegation
Sheriff’s department officials did not release a cause of death pending an autopsy.