SPRING, Texas (AP) — The Harris County Sheriff’s Office has released the name of a man who died after he broke from police custody by shooting at deputies with a gun that had been hidden in his pants.
Sheriff’s department officials say 35-year-old Matthew Vincent Cobb was handcuffed when he broke free from custody, pulled a gun from his pants, shot a deputy and critically injured another person late Wednesday.
Police had been responding to a disturbance call between Cobb and his ex-wife. After Cobb broke free, he ran back into a house and began a standoff with deputies.
A female hostage was able to escape when SWAT members entered the house. Cobb was found dead in an upstairs bathroom.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wealthiest hospitals — including Providence Health System — got billions in bailout for struggling health providers
- When can I see my grandkids? Here's some advice.
- Twitter labels Trump's tweets with fact check for first time
- Undersea explorers find wreck of USS Nevada, the ship that almost escaped Pearl Harbor
- COVID-19 is deadliest where Democrats live, adding to nation's strife
Sheriff’s department officials did not release a cause of death pending an autopsy.