NORFOLK, Va. (AP) — The Hampton Roads region was bearing the worst of a winter storm that prompted Gov. Terry McAuliffe to declare a state of emergency.
Dominion Energy reported more than 44,000 customers in southeastern Virginia without power Thursday morning, with only minor outages in the rest of the state.
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel was closed to all traffic early Thursday morning because of the weather conditions which included snow and heavy winds.
Virginia State Police reported that from 8 p.m. Wednesday through 8 a.m. Thursday, it received 273 emergency calls for service in its Chesapeake region, which includes Hampton Roads, including 118 crashes. The Richmond region reported 193 calls for service and 108 crashes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Owner of 3D-printed gun company accused of sex with minor
- New round of US-China tariffs raise fears of an economic Cold War
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Kavanaugh's accuser wants FBI probe before she testifies WATCH