BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — An 88-year-old man who tried to kill his wife with a hammer at her New York nursing home has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Martin Turkiewicz (TURK’-uh-witz) told a judge on Thursday he wanted to end his wife’s suffering from dementia. The Cheektowaga (cheek-tuh-WAH’-guh) resident walked into the room of his wife of 60 years in September and hit her in the head with a hammer.
Rita Turkiewicz is recovering from a fractured skull.
Martin Turkiewicz pleaded guilty to assault in November and has been out on bail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Justice Department releases secret surveillance documents of ex-Trump aide
He told the judge he wanted to tell his wife how sorry he is. An order of protection bans him from seeing or contacting her except on holidays under supervision.