BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — An 88-year-old man who tried to kill his wife with a hammer at her New York nursing home has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Martin Turkiewicz (TURK’-uh-witz) told a judge on Thursday he wanted to end his wife’s suffering from dementia. The Cheektowaga (cheek-tuh-WAH’-guh) resident walked into the room of his wife of 60 years in September and hit her in the head with a hammer.
Rita Turkiewicz is recovering from a fractured skull.
Martin Turkiewicz pleaded guilty to assault in November and has been out on bail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Inmate's last words: 'Is it supposed to feel like that?'
- CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Khashoggi's assassination
- In Mississippi, GOP concern rises over U.S. Senate runoff
- Salmonella contamination in turkey is widespread and unidentified
He told the judge he wanted to tell his wife how sorry he is. An order of protection bans him from seeing or contacting her except on holidays under supervision.