BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — An 88-year-old man who tried to kill his wife with a hammer at her New York nursing home has been sentenced to six months in jail.
Martin Turkiewicz (TURK’-uh-witz) told a judge on Thursday he wanted to end his wife’s suffering from dementia. The Cheektowaga (cheek-tuh-WAH’-guh) resident walked into the room of his wife of 60 years in September and hit her in the head with a hammer.
Rita Turkiewicz is recovering from a fractured skull.
Martin Turkiewicz pleaded guilty to assault in November and has been out on bail.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Mueller reveals Trump's attempts to choke off Russia probe VIEW
- 3 climbers presumed dead after Banff avalanche
- Democrats subpoena Mueller report amid calls for impeachment
- Here's the redacted Mueller report and what you need to know about it
- Key takeaways from Robert Mueller's Russia report VIEW
He told the judge he wanted to tell his wife how sorry he is. An order of protection bans him from seeing or contacting her except on holidays under supervision.