HAGATNA, Guam (AP) — Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo has called for the U.S. Department of Defense to halt military construction projects on the island until the shortage of foreign labor is remedied.
The Pacific Daily News reported (http://bit.ly/2xQXNQ6 ) on Friday that federal immigration officials have denied most of the requests by Guam businesses to use temporary foreign labor under the H-2B visa program.
A few years ago, the U.S. territory had a foreign workforce of more than 1,000 people. As the number dropped to less than 100, businesses on the island filed a lawsuit over the denials last year.
Calvo says the visa denials are hurting the island’s economy, and the issue is risking the security of both Guam and the country. He is asking the Defense Department to reassess military buildup guidelines.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘Victoria’s Secret Karen’ video: Lawsuits show what viewers didn’t see
- Former Speaker Paul Ryan says Republicans will lose if Donald Trump is nominee
- Sitting all day increases dementia risk — even if you exercise
- Wisconsin woman gets life without parole for killing and dismembering ex-boyfriend
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events