GREGORY, S.D. (AP) — A Gregory man who authorities say severely beat a woman after she asked him to watch her child when he wanted to nap has been sentenced to serve eight years in prison.
The Daily Republic reports 35-year-old Whitney Covey was recently sentenced on a charge of domestic abuse aggravated assault causing bodily injury with indifference to human life.
He pleaded guilty in December and prosecutors dropped other charges including attempted murder.
The charges stemmed from a July 2017 incident in which authorities say Covey engaged in “45 minutes of nonstop assault” on the woman while threatening to kill her.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
He was also ordered to pay more than $12,000 in fines.
Information from: The Daily Republic, http://www.mitchellrepublic.com