THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) — Police in northern Greece have confiscated 105 kilograms of marijuana from neighboring Albania and arrested an Albanian national suspected of smuggling the drugs in his car.
The 26-year-old man was stopped and detained near the Krystallopigi border crossing Tuesday, police said.
Despite local authorities’ attempts to crack down on the illegal cultivation, Albania remains a major marijuana-producing country.
Before Tuesday’s seizure, authorities in northern Greece had impounded at least 1.3 tons of the drug from Albania so far this year, according to police data.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- George Santos is accused of sexual harassment in his Capitol office
- A patient declared dead is found in a body bag gasping for air
- In 1970, Mississippi banned 'Sesame Street' for showing Black and white kids playing
- US downs Chinese balloon, drawing a threat from China
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
In 2017, a total 10.9 tons were confiscated, up from about four tons in 2016.