THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) — Police in the northern Greek city of Thessaloniki say they have arrested a man wanted in Britain on suspicion of running a large cocaine trafficking ring.
A police statement Monday said the suspect, Simon Dutton, 39, was arrested in a Thessaloniki hotel on a European arrest warrant.
He will be detained pending a Greek court decision on whether to extradite him to Britain.
Dutton is wanted there for alleged involvement in smuggling cocaine with a street value of about 1.6 million pounds ($2.4 million) from Spain to England. British police seized the shipment in 2009.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A mysterious, devastating brain disorder afflicts dozens in one Canadian province
- GOP dumps defiant Trump critic Cheney from top House post
- New drugs could help treat obesity. Could they end the stigma, too?
- One of the world’s longest-running experiments sends up sprouts
- What is happening in Jerusalem and Gaza?