THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) — Police in the northern Greek city of Thessaloniki say they have arrested a man wanted in Britain on suspicion of running a large cocaine trafficking ring.
A police statement Monday said the suspect, Simon Dutton, 39, was arrested in a Thessaloniki hotel on a European arrest warrant.
He will be detained pending a Greek court decision on whether to extradite him to Britain.
Dutton is wanted there for alleged involvement in smuggling cocaine with a street value of about 1.6 million pounds ($2.4 million) from Spain to England. British police seized the shipment in 2009.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hawaii police arrest couple who boarded flight despite testing positive for coronavirus
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- 'Absolutely normal': COVID vaccine side effects are no reason to avoid the shots, doctors say
- A nurse and her entire family contracted COVID-19 under one roof. It started with a 'selfless' car ride.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events