PHOENIX (AP) — An Arizona man has been sentenced to six months in jail after prosecutors say he left his 5-year-old granddaughter alone in the desert with a loaded handgun and stopped at a restaurant.
Authorities in Maricopa County, Arizona, say Paul Rater took his granddaughter for a ride in his new pickup truck in November and got lost in the desert. He told authorities the vehicle got stuck and they had to walk for help. Rater told them he left the girl under a tree with a gun when she couldn’t walk anymore.
A helicopter later located the uninjured girl. He was later found eating and drinking at a restaurant.
Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery says Rater was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty to felony child abuse.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What a 'super' El Niño could mean for winter weather in the U.S.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, trailblazer and champion of liberal priorities, dies at age 90
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Plane that crashed, killing Rep. Peltola's husband, had over 500 pounds of meat and antlers on board
- Proud Boy who disappeared ahead of his Jan. 6 sentencing was found unconscious by agents at his home