SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A grand jury has indicted a New Mexico man on a count of first-degree murder in the death of his girlfriend’s stepson.
The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that Thomas Wayne Ferguson, the lead suspect in the death of 13-year-old Jeremiah Valencia, also has been indicted on kidnapping, child abuse, tampering with evidence and conspiracy charges.
The boy’s mother, Tracy Ann Pena, and Ferguson’s 19-year-old son, Jordan Nunez, are also charged in the case. Court documents show a grand jury is expected to review evidence against them March 6.
According to court documents, Nunez told investigators that Ferguson tortured the boy “for no apparent reason,” beating him with brass knuckles, a cane, a homemade spear, a hammer and steel toe boots.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Meet the brains behind the 'Trump Baby' balloon
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
His body was found buried along a rural highway last month.
Information from: The Santa Fe New Mexican, http://www.sfnewmexican.com