SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A grand jury has indicted a New Mexico man on a count of first-degree murder in the death of his girlfriend’s stepson.
The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that Thomas Wayne Ferguson, the lead suspect in the death of 13-year-old Jeremiah Valencia, also has been indicted on kidnapping, child abuse, tampering with evidence and conspiracy charges.
The boy’s mother, Tracy Ann Pena, and Ferguson’s 19-year-old son, Jordan Nunez, are also charged in the case. Court documents show a grand jury is expected to review evidence against them March 6.
According to court documents, Nunez told investigators that Ferguson tortured the boy “for no apparent reason,” beating him with brass knuckles, a cane, a homemade spear, a hammer and steel toe boots.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
His body was found buried along a rural highway last month.
Information from: The Santa Fe New Mexican, http://www.sfnewmexican.com