GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — An August trial has been scheduled for a Grand Island resident accused of fatally shooting another man on New Year’s Day.
The Grand Island Independent reports that 24-year-old Herbey Portillo Jr. pleaded not guilty Tuesday to first-degree murder and a weapons charge. His trial is set to begin Aug. 6.
Police arrested Portillo on Jan. 2 after finding him hiding in a Grand Island garage. He’s accused of killing 19-year-old Trevor Sok. Police found Sok injured around 3:45 a.m. Jan. 1 at a Grand Island home. He later died at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She moved to the opposite coast, but past catches up to Kavanaugh accuser
- As Senate hearing set for Kavanaugh, new accuser emerges VIEW
- Democrats know of second Kavanaugh accuser, New Yorker magazine reports
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- Lindsey Graham: 'There's a bureaucratic coup going on' at FBI and Justice Department
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, http://www.theindependent.com