GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — An August trial has been scheduled for a Grand Island resident accused of fatally shooting another man on New Year’s Day.
The Grand Island Independent reports that 24-year-old Herbey Portillo Jr. pleaded not guilty Tuesday to first-degree murder and a weapons charge. His trial is set to begin Aug. 6.
Police arrested Portillo on Jan. 2 after finding him hiding in a Grand Island garage. He’s accused of killing 19-year-old Trevor Sok. Police found Sok injured around 3:45 a.m. Jan. 1 at a Grand Island home. He later died at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, http://www.theindependent.com