GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — An August trial has been scheduled for a Grand Island resident accused of fatally shooting another man on New Year’s Day.
The Grand Island Independent reports that 24-year-old Herbey Portillo Jr. pleaded not guilty Tuesday to first-degree murder and a weapons charge. His trial is set to begin Aug. 6.
Police arrested Portillo on Jan. 2 after finding him hiding in a Grand Island garage. He’s accused of killing 19-year-old Trevor Sok. Police found Sok injured around 3:45 a.m. Jan. 1 at a Grand Island home. He later died at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
- CNN drops suit against White House after Jim Acosta's press pass is fully restored
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, http://www.theindependent.com