A new golf cart, a parting gift to House Speaker John Boehner from House Republicans, will have a license plate reading, “MR SPKR.”
WASHINGTON — With a bipartisan budget deal checked off his to-do list, Speaker John Boehner is moving on to greener pastures — and he now has a new ride.
As Boehner navigates the fairways of the golf course, he will be able to do so on a new golf cart, which was a parting gift from House Republicans Tuesday morning. The license plate on his new set of wheels reads, “MR SPKR.”
“For a minute I thought it might be the popemobile,” Rep. Steve Womack, R-Ark, said Tuesday. The Ohio delegation also gave Boehner a new golf bag and a new set of clubs.
Boehner, an avid golfer, sat for an emotional interview with the Golf Channel in July. At the time, he said the two characteristics that helped him as speaker and on the links were perseverance and patience.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- A famed folk singer won a presidential pardon after molesting a child. Did he prey on others?
- They’re vaccinated and keeping their masks on, maybe forever
- ‘So I raped you.’ Facebook message renews fight for justice
- Mount St. Helens, which erupted 41 years ago, starts reopening after COVID closures
“Probably one of the secrets to my tenure as speaker is just to be patient,” Boehner told the channel. “Listen to everyone and try to understand. It takes an awful lot of patience.”
On Tuesday, Boehner gave what could be his final news conference of his speakership, and reflected on the job.
“When you sign up for the job, you have to take everything that comes at you,” Boehner said, “but I feel pretty good about where I am and I like the fact that I see light at the end of the tunnel.”