BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A Louisiana woman discovered a big surprise while checking her tickets for recent Louisiana Lotto drawings: She held the sole winning ticket for the Jan. 20 jackpot worth $525,000.
Lottery officials say 83-year-old Josephine Prendergast, of Gonzales, after reading and checking the numbers, called her granddaughter for a ride to the lottery’s headquarters in Baton Rouge to claim the prize. When they arrived Tuesday, Prendergast’s granddaughter thought she had won only $600. Prendergast says she told her, “I won just a little more than that.”
Her quick-pick ticket, purchased at Little Capital of Louisiana in Breaux Bridge, matched all six numbers — 2, 5, 16, 21, 23 and 28. She received $367,500 after state and federal tax withholdings.
Prendergast hasn’t decided what to do with her winnings, but says she wants some “really good PJ’s coffee.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Meet the brains behind the 'Trump Baby' balloon
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
- Man nabbed in wife's chain saw attack was deported 11 times