BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A Louisiana woman discovered a big surprise while checking her tickets for recent Louisiana Lotto drawings: She held the sole winning ticket for the Jan. 20 jackpot worth $525,000.
Lottery officials say 83-year-old Josephine Prendergast, of Gonzales, after reading and checking the numbers, called her granddaughter for a ride to the lottery’s headquarters in Baton Rouge to claim the prize. When they arrived Tuesday, Prendergast’s granddaughter thought she had won only $600. Prendergast says she told her, “I won just a little more than that.”
Her quick-pick ticket, purchased at Little Capital of Louisiana in Breaux Bridge, matched all six numbers — 2, 5, 16, 21, 23 and 28. She received $367,500 after state and federal tax withholdings.
Prendergast hasn’t decided what to do with her winnings, but says she wants some “really good PJ’s coffee.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH