BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A Louisiana woman discovered a big surprise while checking her tickets for recent Louisiana Lotto drawings: She held the sole winning ticket for the Jan. 20 jackpot worth $525,000.
Lottery officials say 83-year-old Josephine Prendergast, of Gonzales, after reading and checking the numbers, called her granddaughter for a ride to the lottery’s headquarters in Baton Rouge to claim the prize. When they arrived Tuesday, Prendergast’s granddaughter thought she had won only $600. Prendergast says she told her, “I won just a little more than that.”
Her quick-pick ticket, purchased at Little Capital of Louisiana in Breaux Bridge, matched all six numbers — 2, 5, 16, 21, 23 and 28. She received $367,500 after state and federal tax withholdings.
Prendergast hasn’t decided what to do with her winnings, but says she wants some “really good PJ’s coffee.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target