MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Two Wisconsin girls accused of trying to kill their classmate as a sacrifice to horror character Slender Man want separate trials.
Lawyers for Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser filed motions last week with Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren arguing a joint trial could confuse jurors. Both girls have made statements to investigators implicating the other.
The girls have both pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease to attempted homicide charges in adult court. They’re due to appear in court for a status conference on Nov. 11.
Prosecutors say Weier and Geyser lured Payton Leutner into the woods at a park in Waukesha in May 2014 and stabbed her 19 times. Leutner barely survived. All three girls were 12 years old at the time.
Most Read Stories
- Police: Lynnwood 6-year-old drowned in bathtub by visiting relative
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- Why Seattleites love to hate the umbrella
- Dough Zone opens in Seattle: better than Din Tai Fung?! | Cheap Eats