ANTIOCH, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say 13-year-old San Francisco Bay Area girl has been arrested after she accidentally shot herself in the hand with a gun she said she found at school.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported (http://bit.ly/1LIvH5c ) Monday that the teen told officers she discovered the weapon in a school bathroom last week and placed it in her backpack, where she kept it all day. A report from the city of Antioch didn’t name the middle school.
The report by Acting City Manager Ron Bernal says that when she got home, “she was going to show the firearm to her grandmother and accidentally shot herself in the hand.”
The girl is recovering. Police took the gun from the home and booked her into a juvenile hall on suspicion of weapons-related charges.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hacker known as Max is 55-year-old woman from Russia, U.S. says
- Many post-COVID patients are experiencing new medical problems, study finds
- A high school marked unvaccinated students at prom with Sharpie. Parents called it Nazi Germany, Republican says.
- Everyone’s going to Hawaii, and the resorts aren’t ready
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com