ANTIOCH, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say 13-year-old San Francisco Bay Area girl has been arrested after she accidentally shot herself in the hand with a gun she said she found at school.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported (http://bit.ly/1LIvH5c ) Monday that the teen told officers she discovered the weapon in a school bathroom last week and placed it in her backpack, where she kept it all day. A report from the city of Antioch didn’t name the middle school.
The report by Acting City Manager Ron Bernal says that when she got home, “she was going to show the firearm to her grandmother and accidentally shot herself in the hand.”
The girl is recovering. Police took the gun from the home and booked her into a juvenile hall on suspicion of weapons-related charges.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com