TOMS RIVER, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say a young New Jersey girl playing with friends in a lagoon has died after being electrocuted when she touched a rail on a metal boat lift that had become energized.
Toms River police say the 11-year-old Newark girl and two friends were using an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon behind a township home Saturday night.
Authorities say two of the girls apparently touched the rail of the boat lift, and an electric current energized the equipment.
One girl was taken to a hospital but died there a short time later. The two other children were not injured.
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
Authorities say the girls were wearing lifejackets and in the presence of adults when the accident occurred.
The death remains under investigation.