DALLAS (AP) — The family of a Texas teen who hanged himself says their son was involved in a ghoulish online game that calls on participants to complete a series of tasks before taking their own lives.
Some schools are so concerned that they are warning parents about the so-called Blue Whale Challenge.
Jorge Gonzalez told San Antonio television station WOAI that he wanted to caution others about the game. His son, Isaiah, was found hanging in his bedroom closet Saturday. His cellphone was propped up on a shoe to record his death.
A report on the boy’s death from the San Antonio Police Department does not mention the challenge. But Gonzalez’ family said they pieced together from his social media and communication with friends that he had participated in the game.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 panel calls surprise hearing to present new evidence
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Justices side with doctors convicted in pain pill schemes
- GOP lawmaker calls Roe ruling 'victory for white life' as Trump rally cheers
- Family dog dies protecting kids from mountain lion in Colorado