BERLIN (AP) — The German Foreign Ministry says a German-Turkish dual national has apparently been arrested in Istanbul, an incident that comes as relations between the two countries have been strained by previous arrests of German citizens.
The Spiegel Online news website reported Tuesday that Adil Demirci was arrested during a visit with his mother there. It said police last week stormed the Istanbul apartment of relatives he was visiting.
The Foreign Ministry said it believes that Demirci was arrested but “confirmation from the Turkish authorities is still pending.”
Spiegel Online wrote that Demirci is a social worker in Cologne and on the side writes for the left-wing Turkish ETHA news agency.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Court: Sotomayor shoulder injury worse than first thought
- Student says Confederate flag theft sparked protests
- Miss America 2005 marries same-sex partner in Alabama
- Paul Allen's team finds wreck of storied USS Helena, torpedoed in 1943 VIEW
- The gaping hole in Sean Hannity's story about being Michael Cohen's client | Analysis
The Foreign Ministry said it cannot at present confirm that Demirci is a journalist.