BERLIN (AP) — The German Foreign Ministry says a German-Turkish dual national has apparently been arrested in Istanbul, an incident that comes as relations between the two countries have been strained by previous arrests of German citizens.
The Spiegel Online news website reported Tuesday that Adil Demirci was arrested during a visit with his mother there. It said police last week stormed the Istanbul apartment of relatives he was visiting.
The Foreign Ministry said it believes that Demirci was arrested but “confirmation from the Turkish authorities is still pending.”
Spiegel Online wrote that Demirci is a social worker in Cologne and on the side writes for the left-wing Turkish ETHA news agency.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- Trump questions US intel, not Putin, on Russia 2016 meddling WATCH
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Lava crashes through roof of Hawaii tour boat, injuring 23
The Foreign Ministry said it cannot at present confirm that Demirci is a journalist.