BERLIN (AP) — A nationalist party has given one of its lawmakers a warning over a racist tweet on his account directed against former tennis star Boris Becker’s son.
The dpa news agency reported that Alternative for Germany’s leadership decided unanimously Monday to give Jens Maier a formal warning and called on him to exercise more care in choosing and supervising his staff. However, he does not risk expulsion.
Maier claims that the since-deleted tweet directed at Noah Becker was posted by a member of his staff, who has been disciplined. He says he regrets the “mishap.”
A lawyer for Becker said last week that the 23-year-old had filed a criminal complaint against Maier.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
Maier, a judge from the eastern state of Saxony, is regarded as being on his nationalist party’s far-right wing.