DANVILLE, Va. (AP) — Officials were forced to evacuate a block along Main Street in downtown Danville after a gas leak caused by a roof collapse.
The Danville Register and Bee reports that the roof collapse occurred at a building called The Venue about 4 p.m. Saturday.
Customers at a pizza restaurant next door smelled the gas, prompting a 911 call.
The evacuation lasted less than an hour. No injuries were reported.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Her mother disappeared. Then her babysitter. A lawman fears she might be next VIEW
- Behind Jimmy Carter’s defeat, a clandestine trip and a four-decade secret
- Deadly fungus spread rapidly during the pandemic, CDC says
- Are allergies making you tired, or is it COVID … or something else?
A fire department official said the roof collapse occurred at the back of The Venue. The building is owned by a church and is undergoing restoration.