PHOENIX (AP) — One person was killed Thursday and a second critically injured after a natural gas explosion destroyed a house just east of downtown, Phoenix Fire Department officials said.
The cause of the explosion in a neighborhood just east of downtown hasn’t been released, but an appliance company delivery truck was parked out front and a new gas stove was on the ground. Nearby was a new gas service line.
Crews from Southwest Gas determined their company did not service the home and the home’s gas apparently came from a propane tank, fire department spokesman Capt. Jake Van Hook said.
The mother and three children who lived in the destroyed house were not hurt, Van Hook said. A neighboring home was also damaged, and crews fought the flames for some time before gaining the upper hand.
Without confirming its employees were those involved, Spencer’s TV & Appliance general manager Roy Hannah issued a statement saying the company was “deeply saddened by the tragedy that took place today.
“At this point we don’t have a complete picture as to how everything took place,” Hannah’s statement said. “We are praying for everybody involved and our hearts go out to the family and friends who lost a loved one today.”
Van Hook said he could not confirm if the dead and injured were Spencer’s employees because of the ongoing investigation.