GARY, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say shots fired at a car in Gary have killed the driver, injured two passengers and left the vehicle tumbling onto a highway ramp.
They say the car was headed to a restaurant about 5:15 a.m. Saturday when shots came from a second vehicle, hitting 24-year-old driver Dalvontaye Kelly multiple times, a 23-year-old front seat passenger seven times and a 20-year-old back seat passenger once.
Kelly was pronounced dead at the scene. State police say the two passengers were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. Their names haven’t been released.
After the shooting, police say the car veered over a concrete bridge support, falling about 23 feet onto a feeder ramp to westbound Interstates 80/94. The ramp was closed for more than four hours.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Archie Battersbee, gravely ill 12-year-old, dies after removal of life support
- Russian men, dying in war, leave many families sad, angry and silent
- Key Washington primary 2022 election results
- Everyone loves e-bikes - except some who have to share roads with them
Police say the second vehicle got away.