ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Funerals have been held for nine of the 11 women killed when a private Turkish jet crashed in Iran while flying a bride-to-be and her friends back to Istanbul from a bachelorette party in the United Arab Emirates.
Mina Basaran, the 28-year-old daughter of the chairman of Turkey’s Basaran Investment Holding, was killed along with seven friends and three female crew members.
Most of the funerals held Thursday were in Istanbul. A tenth funeral was scheduled to take place Friday. The remains of a pilot have not yet been returned from Iran.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harry and Meghan in exile? Palace reportedly eyes Africa move for couple — 'as far away as possible' from William
- Elusive red sprites, like glowing jellyfish in the night sky, photographed in Oklahoma
- Sri Lanka military gets special powers after deadly bombings VIEW
- Claims of shoddy production draw scrutiny to a second Boeing jet
- SpaceX suffers serious setback with crew capsule accident
The plane took off Sunday from Sharjah International Airport in the UAE and crashed in Iran’s Zagros Mountains a little over an hour into the flight.