ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Funerals have been held for nine of the 11 women killed when a private Turkish jet crashed in Iran while flying a bride-to-be and her friends back to Istanbul from a bachelorette party in the United Arab Emirates.
Mina Basaran, the 28-year-old daughter of the chairman of Turkey’s Basaran Investment Holding, was killed along with seven friends and three female crew members.
Most of the funerals held Thursday were in Istanbul. A tenth funeral was scheduled to take place Friday. The remains of a pilot have not yet been returned from Iran.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- To defend Trump, conservatives smear journalist presumed dead
The plane took off Sunday from Sharjah International Airport in the UAE and crashed in Iran’s Zagros Mountains a little over an hour into the flight.