JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — More than 1,000 police officers saluted at the flag-draped coffin of a Jersey City police lieutenant who was struck and killed on the New Jersey Turnpike after a traffic accident last week.
Newark archbishop Cardinal Joseph Tobin celebrated Mass for 49-year-old Lt. Christopher Robateau during his funeral Thursday at St. Aeden’s Church in Jersey City.
Authorities have said Robateau was in uniform and on his way to work Friday when he was involved in a minor accident with a large truck while heading northbound near Exit 14. He got out of his vehicle to assist the truck driver but was struck by a pickup before he reached the other driver.
Robateau is survived by a wife and three children.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fuller picture emerges of viral video encounter between Native American and Catholic students
- Senate Republicans all but surrender to Trump on wall, despite shutdown's toll
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- Kamala Harris opens presidential bid
- 2-for-1: Total lunar eclipse comes with supermoon bonus VIEW