LA CRESCENT, Minn. (AP) — Eight black hearses lined up outside a church in a small southeastern Minnesota community as mourners inside gathered to remember eight slain members of a Houston, Texas, family.
The victims, laid to rest later Thursday, were Valerie and Dwayne Jackson and their six children, ages 6 to 13. The mother’s ex-boyfriend is charged with capital murder in the Aug. 8 shootings. Authorities say David Conley handcuffed most of them and shot each in the head.
The Jacksons spent time in La Crosse, Wisconsin, but the funeral was held in nearby La Crescent, Minnesota, because Valerie Jackson’s surviving child lives in the area.
Thursday’s funeral and burial at a cemetery outside of town were private. The La Crosse Tribune reports about 30 members of Bikers Against Child Abuse stood guard outside the church.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- McConnell, Pelosi dispute Trump, vow peaceful power transfer WATCH
- How to create a pandemic pod for safe social interaction