LA CRESCENT, Minn. (AP) — Eight black hearses lined up outside a church in a small southeastern Minnesota community as mourners inside gathered to remember eight slain members of a Houston, Texas, family.
The victims, laid to rest later Thursday, were Valerie and Dwayne Jackson and their six children, ages 6 to 13. The mother’s ex-boyfriend is charged with capital murder in the Aug. 8 shootings. Authorities say David Conley handcuffed most of them and shot each in the head.
The Jacksons spent time in La Crosse, Wisconsin, but the funeral was held in nearby La Crescent, Minnesota, because Valerie Jackson’s surviving child lives in the area.
Thursday’s funeral and burial at a cemetery outside of town were private. The La Crosse Tribune reports about 30 members of Bikers Against Child Abuse stood guard outside the church.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Seattle scientist digs up deleted coronavirus genetic data, adding fuel to the covid origin debate
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- Pressure builds to lift travel restrictions on U.S.-Canada border
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the U.S., a pioneering study finds