General Mills said the voluntary recall involves 10-ounce bags of Cascadian Farm Cut Green Beans with either of two “better if used by dates” stamped on the package: “10APR2016” and “11APR2016.” The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
MINNEAPOLIS — General Mills says it has recalled a “limited quantity” of Cascadian Farm frozen green beans after a package of the product tested positive for listeria.
No illnesses have been reported in connection with the green beans, General Mills said in statement. Listeria is a bacteria that causes listeriosis, a serious infection with symptoms including fever and gastrointestinal problems.
General Mills, based in suburban Minneapolis, said the voluntary recall involves 10-ounce bags of Cascadian Farm Cut Green Beans with either of two “better if used by dates” stamped on the package: “10APR2016” and “11APR2016.” The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
The company didn’t specify the quantity of the recall in pounds. Cascadian Farm is a major brand in the organic food market.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- The Earth is now trapping an 'unprecedented' amount of heat, NASA says
- US-Canada border restrictions extended until July 21
- GOP congressman refuses to shake hands with D.C. police officer who protected the Capitol on Jan. 6, lawmakers say
- Biden signs bill making Juneteenth a federal holiday
General Mills said the recall “is being issued as a precaution after one package of finished product tested positive for the presence of Listeria monocytogenes.” The recalled product was produced and packaged over two days in March 2014.
Listeriosis can be deadly and strikes hard at pregnant women, newborns, older adults and people with weakened immune systems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Listeria can be a nightmare for a company, too. Earlier this year, Texas-based Blue Bell ice cream shut down production for several months after listeria in its products were traced to 10 serious illnesses, including three deaths in Kansas.