PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island health officials are investigating after students at 14 schools had physical reactions after eating kiwi fruit.
The state’s Department of Health says approximately 34 students in cities including Providence and Woonsocket suffered itching of the lips and mouth, hives and tongue swelling on Friday immediately after eating fresh kiwi.
All of the fruit was cut and bagged by the same distributor in West Greenwich. Officials say fresh fruit from the vendor is being discarded, and its distribution of kiwi has been suspended.
Rhode Island health officials are also working with their counterparts in Massachusetts, where some fruit was distributed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
Health officials say they don’t know what caused the reaction. Some students were treated at emergency departments while others were treated at their schools. All have since improved.