PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island health officials are investigating after students at 14 schools had physical reactions after eating kiwi fruit.
The state’s Department of Health says approximately 34 students in cities including Providence and Woonsocket suffered itching of the lips and mouth, hives and tongue swelling on Friday immediately after eating fresh kiwi.
All of the fruit was cut and bagged by the same distributor in West Greenwich. Officials say fresh fruit from the vendor is being discarded, and its distribution of kiwi has been suspended.
Rhode Island health officials are also working with their counterparts in Massachusetts, where some fruit was distributed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 42 VIEW
- Scientists to study the 'modern miracle' of Ozzy Osbourne's survival
- New exercise guidelines: Move more, sit less, start younger WATCH
- Heart meeting features fish oil, vitamin D, cholesterol news
- Death toll rises in California wildfire, matching deadliest VIEW
Health officials say they don’t know what caused the reaction. Some students were treated at emergency departments while others were treated at their schools. All have since improved.