PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island health officials are investigating after students at 14 schools had physical reactions after eating kiwi fruit.
The state’s Department of Health says approximately 34 students in cities including Providence and Woonsocket suffered itching of the lips and mouth, hives and tongue swelling on Friday immediately after eating fresh kiwi.
All of the fruit was cut and bagged by the same distributor in West Greenwich. Officials say fresh fruit from the vendor is being discarded, and its distribution of kiwi has been suspended.
Rhode Island health officials are also working with their counterparts in Massachusetts, where some fruit was distributed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 2nd man dies at California home of Democratic party donor
- Crushing defeat for May's deal leaves Brexit path unclear
- Less beef, more beans. Experts say world needs a new diet
- Government shutdown may upend State of the Union speech WATCH
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez vs. Wall Street: Lawmaker wins spot on powerful House committee
Health officials say they don’t know what caused the reaction. Some students were treated at emergency departments while others were treated at their schools. All have since improved.