WASHINGTON (AP) — A man who admitted to sexually abusing seventh- and eighth-grade girls while working as a charter-school math teacher in the nation’s capital has been sentenced to nearly 12 years in prison.
News outlets report 33-year-old Robert Leach, of Maryland, told the court Friday that God has since changed his life.
Prosecutors say Leach groomed and abused the children between 2010 and 2013 until he was caught by a parent and fled the country.
Prosecutors say he used promises of love to get one girl to destroy evidence and mislead investigators. Leach later taught in the United Arab Emirates, got married and had a child. He was caught in 2015 in the United Kingdom and extradited to the U.S., where he pleaded guilty in June to child sexual abuse.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Health plans no longer have to cover preventive care at no cost. Here’s what to know
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- AP sources: Trump facing at least 1 felony charge in NY case WATCH
- One key player did not cooperate with prosecutors: Trump’s financial gatekeeper
- A rescue dog and goat are best friends. A shelter put them up for adoption as a pair.