LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former Los Angeles police officer has pleaded not guilty to having sex with a 15-year-old girl who was in the LAPD’s cadet program.
City News Service says Robert Cain entered pleas Tuesday to unlawful sexual intercourse, oral copulation involving a person under 16 and committing lewd acts on a child.
Prosecutors say Cain, a 10-year veteran, had a relationship with the girl last June.
Cain’s arrest resulted after police uncovered a scandal in which cadets were joyriding in police cars, using stun guns and other equipment and impersonating officers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
If convicted, Cain could face up to seven years and eight months in state prison.
He’s already been sentenced to two years in county jail on weapons violations stemming from a search of his home.