LOS ANGELES (AP) — A former Los Angeles police officer has pleaded not guilty to having sex with a 15-year-old girl who was in the LAPD’s cadet program.
City News Service says Robert Cain entered pleas Tuesday to unlawful sexual intercourse, oral copulation involving a person under 16 and committing lewd acts on a child.
Prosecutors say Cain, a 10-year veteran, had a relationship with the girl last June.
Cain’s arrest resulted after police uncovered a scandal in which cadets were joyriding in police cars, using stun guns and other equipment and impersonating officers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- L.A. Times restaurant critic Jonathan Gold loved food and his city, was beloved by readers
- Why did a Russian pay $95M to buy Trump’s Palm Beach mansion?
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Documents used to wiretap Trump ex-adviser Carter Page disclosed
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
If convicted, Cain could face up to seven years and eight months in state prison.
He’s already been sentenced to two years in county jail on weapons violations stemming from a search of his home.