UMATILLA, Fla. (AP) — The son of an infamous former Florida sheriff has been arrested on charges that he molested a young girl.
The Lake County Sheriff’s Office said 64-year-old Douglas McCall was arrested Thursday following allegations that he inappropriately touched the elementary school-aged child and showed her sexually explicit videos involving children.
Sheriff’s officials tell news outlets the girl told her mother, who contacted investigators.
The Orlando Sentinel reports McCall’s father, Willis McCall, served as sheriff in Lake County for 30 years before he was charged with second-degree murder for kicking a black prisoner to death in 1972. He was eventually acquitted by an all-white jury. He died in 1994 at age 84.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
The elder McCall always denied being a racist.
The younger McCall is being without bond. Jail records don’t list a lawyer.