BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman is recuperating from heart bypass surgery.
Siegelman’s daughter, Dana Siegelman, posted Saturday on social media that her father had bypass surgery after a blockage was discovered Friday during a routine physical and tests.
According to the post, family members said the surgery went well, and that he’s hospitalized at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham.
Siegelman, a Democrat, was a dominating figure in state politics for decades. He was elected to four statewide offices.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
A jury in 2006 convicted him of bribery. He was released from prison last year. The last Democrat elected in the state, Siegelman said from the outset the case was a Republican witch hunt.
His son, Joseph Siegelman, is running for attorney general this year.