BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman is recuperating from heart bypass surgery.
Siegelman’s daughter, Dana Siegelman, posted Saturday on social media that her father had bypass surgery after a blockage was discovered Friday during a routine physical and tests.
According to the post, family members said the surgery went well, and that he’s hospitalized at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham.
Siegelman, a Democrat, was a dominating figure in state politics for decades. He was elected to four statewide offices.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Man's shooting-range wedding proposal was right on target
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
A jury in 2006 convicted him of bribery. He was released from prison last year. The last Democrat elected in the state, Siegelman said from the outset the case was a Republican witch hunt.
His son, Joseph Siegelman, is running for attorney general this year.