Wailing parents carried the bodies of their children from hospitals after a snack of cassava — a root that's poisonous if not prepared...
MANILA, Philippines — Wailing parents carried the bodies of their children from hospitals after a snack of cassava — a root that’s poisonous if not prepared correctly — bought from an outside vendor killed 27 and sickened 100 others yesterday at an elementary school in the south-central Philippines.
With the nearest hospital 20 miles away from San Jose school, in Bohol island’s Mabini town, some victims died while being carried in a variety of vehicles, including three-wheel motorcycle taxis.
Francisca Doliente said her niece Arve Tamor, 9, was given some of the deep-fried caramelized cassava by a classmate who bought it from the vendor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A wolflike creature was stalking livestock in Montana. Authorities have no idea what it is.
- Man arrested after driver rams into 3 on Oregon sidewalk VIEW
- Sheriff: High school athletes tried to rape teen with mop
- Inside a semitruck in Nebraska, troopers found enough fentanyl to kill 26 million people
- Border Patrol agent kills woman who crossed border illegally in Texas, authorities say
“Her friend is gone. She died,” Doliente said. Her niece was being treated, she said.
The roots of the cassava plant, a major crop in Southeast Asia and other parts of the world, are rich in protein, minerals and the vitamins A, B and C. However, if eaten raw or prepared incorrectly, one of its chemical constituents will be attacked by digestive enzymes and give off the deadly poison cyanide.
“Some said they took only two bites because it tasted bitter and the effects were felt 5-10 minutes later,” said Dr. Harold Gallego of Garcia Memorial Provincial Hospital in the nearby town of Talibon, where 47 patients were taken.
What is cassava?
Cassava, also called manioc, mandioc or yucca (Manihot esculenta), is a tuberous edible plant of the spurge family (Euphorbiaceae) grown in the tropics. Products made from it include a flour, breads, tapioca, a laundry starch, and even an alcoholic beverage. A cyanide–
producing sugar derivative is usually removed by grating, pressing and heating the tubers. The poison (hydrocyanic acid) has been used for darts and arrows.
Source: Encyclopedia Britannica online
The victims suffered severe stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea. They were taken to at least four hospitals from the school in Mabini, about 380 miles southeast of the capital, Manila.
Sobbing parents left hospitals carrying the bodies of their children wrapped in blankets.
Some victims were still vomiting nearly 12 hours after eating the morning snack, said Dr. Nenita Po of the government-run Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital. However, those who were alive when they reached the hospital had a good chance of surviving, Po said. He said some worried parents brought in their children even if they did not show any symptoms of poisoning.
Po said 15 patients were brought there, including the 68-year-old woman who prepared the cassava along with another woman. Officials wanted to talk with the ailing woman but said she was complaining of pain. A specimen of the cassava was taken for inspection at the local Crime Laboratory Group.