SEVIERVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Floyd Estel Parton, the brother of country singer Dolly Parton, has died.
An obituary posted by Atchley Funeral Home in Sevierville, Tennessee, says Parton died last Thursday. He was 61.
Like his sister, Floyd Parton was a songwriter and composer. His most famous songs were “Rockin’ Years,” which was recorded by his sister and Ricky Van Shelton, and “Nickels and Dimes,” which was also recorded by his sister and later by George Burns.
In a statement, Dolly Parton called him “our sweet baby brother” and said the family laid him to rest Monday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Norwegians spot Viking ship buried in the ground
- Dutch art sleuth recovers Picasso stolen 20 years ago
- 'Total bombshell': Trump administration seeking full repeal of Obamacare
- Key take-aways from special counsel Robert Mueller’s report
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
“We all sang his lovely song, ‘Rocking Years,’ together as a family at the service to say goodbye to him,” Parton said. “He lived a short life of love and beautiful songs.”
His family will remember him as a renaissance man who enjoyed the outdoors and cooking.
He’s survived by his siblings and their spouses, several nieces and nephews and great-nieces and nephews.