MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) — Police in Florida have arrested a woman who they say appeared to be riding a sea turtle in pictures she posted to social media.
Multiple media outlets report that 20-year-old Stephanie Marie Moore was arrested by Melbourne police early Saturday on the felony charge of trying to “possess, sell, molest marine turtle.”
Moore was one of two women photographed in July sitting on or riding sea turtles. The photos flooded social media sites and prompted multiple complaints to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which handled the criminal investigation.
Moore’s arrest happened when Melbourne officers responded to a disturbance in progress early Saturday at a house. During their investigation, officers discovered Moore’s active warrant in reference to failing to comply with a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission rule.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- Greene searched Capitol office building for Rep. Ocasio-Cortez, 2019 video shows
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Israel strikes Gaza home of Hamas leader, destroys AP office