STOCK ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — A Florida sheriff’s deputy is accused of pointing a gun at his girlfriend and choking her until she blacked out.
Monroe County Sheriff’s spokesman Adam Linhardt said in a news release on Wednesday that 23-year-old Deputy Hernan Francisco Marin Jr. was arrested on charges of domestic battery and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The victim told investigators Tuesday that she’d tried to break up with Marin in January and he choked her until she passed out. She said they eventually decided to work things out, but in January, he choked her again and pulled a gun on her.
He remains in jail on a $30,000 bond. An attorney is not listed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
- Much of nation isn't active enough — but WA residents are exception, CDC says
Linhardt said Marin is suspended pending a pre-termination hearing. He began working for the agency last May.