MIAMI (AP) — A Florida mother faces an aggravated manslaughter charge after police say she failed to get help for her 1-year-old child who was severely burned while taking a bath and later died.
News outlets, citing a Miami-Dade police arrest report, say 35-year-old Christina Hurt was arrested late Thursday.
The arrest report says Hurt has been investigated in the past for child neglect.
Police said officers and a rescue crew found the child “unresponsive” on a mattress with severe burns Thursday morning. Hurt told police that while her 10-year-old daughter was bathing the child Wednesday night, her 4-year-old son made the water extremely hot. She didn’t get medical help because she didn’t want to lose the children.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Debunking 5 viral rumors about Christine Blasey Ford, Kavanaugh’s accuser
- GOP, Kavanaugh accuser in standoff over her Senate testimony WATCH
- Patti Davis: Why I don't recall all the details of my sexual assault
- Memory's frailty may be playing role in Kavanaugh matter
- In 1992, Cory Booker admitted to groping a high school classmate and issued a call for sexual respect
Hurt remains in a Miami jail on a $10,000. Records don’t list a lawyer.