MIAMI (AP) — A Florida mother faces an aggravated manslaughter charge after police say she failed to get help for her 1-year-old child who was severely burned while taking a bath and later died.
News outlets, citing a Miami-Dade police arrest report, say 35-year-old Christina Hurt was arrested late Thursday.
The arrest report says Hurt has been investigated in the past for child neglect.
Police said officers and a rescue crew found the child “unresponsive” on a mattress with severe burns Thursday morning. Hurt told police that while her 10-year-old daughter was bathing the child Wednesday night, her 4-year-old son made the water extremely hot. She didn’t get medical help because she didn’t want to lose the children.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
Hurt remains in a Miami jail on a $10,000. Records don’t list a lawyer.