MERRITT ISLAND, Fla. (AP) — A Florida festival says it has baked the world’s largest key lime pie aiming to shatter a record.
A key lime company created on Saturday a pie using a custom pan that measures more than 12 feet (4 meters) in diameter. The recipe asks for 480 cups of graham cracker crust and more than 12,800 ounces (379 liters) of key lime pie filling.
The pie was created to weigh more than 1,000 pounds (454 kilograms), with a volume of about 7 mid-size refrigerators.
Besides the giant pastry, the 7th Annual Florida Key Lime Pie Festival in Merritt Island celebrated the state’s favorite desert with pie eating contests and normal-sized pie tossing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen