MIAMI (AP) — Florida officials have enlisted commercial pest control companies in their fight to stop Miami-area mosquitoes from spreading Zika.
A statement Monday from Gov. Rick Scott’s office says 30 people have been infected with the Zika virus through mosquito bites in the state.
Scott’s office said Florida’s Department of Health was investigating three places in Miami-Dade County and one location in Palm Beach County where new infections may have occurred. However, state health officials still believe active transmissions are limited to a previously identified zone encompassing Miami’s Wynwood neighborhood.
Scott said Miami-Dade County has requested funding for more staff and mosquito traps. Scott said health officials will send additional commercial pest control companies to help local mosquito control operations and “ensure the county has every possible tool to fight Zika.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Stop! Don’t charge your phone this way
- The divide in Yakima is the divide in America VIEW
- GOP-requested witness rejects Trump ‘conspiracy theories’ VIEW
- Republicans assail security aide who reported Trump call VIEW
- Amid turmoil, Prince Andrew to step back from royal duties VIEW