MARIANA, Fla. (AP) — A 6-year-old Florida boy has died days after being accidentally shot in the head by a family member.
The News Herald reports Ervin Gerard Sims Jr. died Tuesday while being treated for injuries sustained in the Friday night shooting at a home in Mariana, which is in Florida’s Panhandle.
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said the child was air-lifted to Pensacola for treatment. They have not released many details about the shooting, including who shot the gun.
Officials said this is the second accidental shooting of a child in Jackson County during January. An 8-year-old girl suffered a gunshot would when a weapon accidentally charged on Jan. 7. She was also taken to a Pensacola hospital in stable condition.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- France strikes back against Trump, emphasizing a lack of 'common decency'
- Guard troops search for more wildfire victims; 56 dead WATCH
- Shot in the neck at 17, this is the trauma surgeon now leading doctors against gun violence and NRA
- Migrant caravan groups arrive by hundreds at US border VIEW
No charges have been made in that case.
Information from: The (Panama City, Fla.) News Herald, http://www.newsherald.com