FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The Flagstaff Police Department says officers won’t be prosecuted in the fatal shooting of a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers during a February encounter.
A Police Department statement released Thursday says the Coconino County Attorney’s Office reviewed the incident and on May 4 declined to prosecute the officers involved in the Feb. 9 shooting of John Hamilton of Flagstaff.
Police say officers shot Hamilton after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Georgia teens shared photos of maskless students in crowded hallways. Now they're suspended.
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- 'We cannot stop people': 250,000 are expected at a South Dakota motorcycle rally
- German nudist chases down boar who snatched his laptop
- How did it happen? America's unique failure to control the virus