FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The Flagstaff Police Department says officers won’t be prosecuted in the fatal shooting of a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers during a February encounter.
A Police Department statement released Thursday says the Coconino County Attorney’s Office reviewed the incident and on May 4 declined to prosecute the officers involved in the Feb. 9 shooting of John Hamilton of Flagstaff.
Police say officers shot Hamilton after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- You downloaded FaceApp. Here's what you've just done to your privacy.
- 'Manholes' are out as Berkeley removes gender-specific language from city code
- Plan to slow Western wildfires would clear strips of land
- A Chicago man died after the family took him off life support. Then he walked through the door.
- Nobel laureate from Iraq told Trump that ISIS killed her family. 'Where are they now?' he asked.