FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The Flagstaff Police Department says officers won’t be prosecuted in the fatal shooting of a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers during a February encounter.
A Police Department statement released Thursday says the Coconino County Attorney’s Office reviewed the incident and on May 4 declined to prosecute the officers involved in the Feb. 9 shooting of John Hamilton of Flagstaff.
Police say officers shot Hamilton after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- IRS launches a new way to estimate next year's tax refund
- A $100,000 bribe got teen a UCLA soccer scholarship without even playing
- Jeffrey Epstein signed will worth $577M only 2 days before suicide, with El Chapo lawyer as witness
- Alaska man discovers message in bottle from Russian Navy
- The completely reasonable reason people are flying with mini horses