FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — The Flagstaff Police Department says officers won’t be prosecuted in the fatal shooting of a 78-year-old man who pointed a gun at a woman and the officers during a February encounter.
A Police Department statement released Thursday says the Coconino County Attorney’s Office reviewed the incident and on May 4 declined to prosecute the officers involved in the Feb. 9 shooting of John Hamilton of Flagstaff.
Police say officers shot Hamilton after he ignored repeated commands from the officers over several minutes to drop his gun and not wave it around.
No officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Saudi student opens fire at Florida Naval base, killing 3 VIEW
- Emotional support animals on planes: New rules are coming
- Twitter explodes after Melania Trump rebukes Stanford professor for comment about Barron
- Trump on likely impeachment: 'Do it now, fast'
- Trump complains low-flow toilets are flush with problems