HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) — A sheriff says fishermen found a human torso in a black garbage bag under a bridge in southeastern Texas, and detectives are looking for the missing head and limbs.
Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith says authorities do not know the gender of the remains and are hoping that distinctive marks such as tattoos will help identify the body. Smith says DNA samples will be taken.
The fishermen found the torso on the edge of the Brazos River near Hempstead, about 50 miles northwest of Houston.
Smith says detectives are searching for other body parts in the area and that it will be difficult to identify the person without a head or hands for fingerprints.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- International travelers stranded, angry in omicron's wake: 'The first thing I did was cry'
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Will the Vaccines Stop Omicron? Scientists Are Racing to Find Out.
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
The Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy.