HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) — A sheriff says fishermen found a human torso in a black garbage bag under a bridge in southeastern Texas, and detectives are looking for the missing head and limbs.
Waller County Sheriff Glenn Smith says authorities do not know the gender of the remains and are hoping that distinctive marks such as tattoos will help identify the body. Smith says DNA samples will be taken.
The fishermen found the torso on the edge of the Brazos River near Hempstead, about 50 miles northwest of Houston.
Smith says detectives are searching for other body parts in the area and that it will be difficult to identify the person without a head or hands for fingerprints.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Seattle scientist digs up deleted coronavirus genetic data, adding fuel to the covid origin debate
- Washington state extremist pays a price after unmasking by left
- When will COVID pandemic 'end'? It’ll largely be individual decision
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- 'Huge, huge cloud of dust': Giant, gritty storm sweeps through Boise
The Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy.