SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a 43-year-old Michigan man has died after he fell through the ice while fishing on an Indiana river.
Indiana Conservation Officers responded to a 911 call Friday afternoon from someone at a park along the St. Joseph River in South Bend. The caller said they saw a man fall through the ice and disappear.
St. Joseph County Police arrived within two minutes and divers from South Bend, Clay and Mishawaka fire departments searched the river.
Conservation officers say Leonard M. Baldwin of Dowagiac, Michigan was found in about 12 feet of water. He was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- 6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade
- 'Stay tuned' for new evidence against Trump in July hearings
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- 3 feet of rain sets up 4th round of flood misery for Sydney