STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) — Firefighters used heavy-duty cutting tools to free three young children who accidentally locked themselves inside a gun safe at a suburban Detroit home.
The Detroit Free Press reports the safe had recently been delivered and was in the garage of the home in Sterling Heights. Fire Chief Chris Martin says the children, who are 3 and 4 years old, apparently crawled inside the safe Sunday afternoon and it locked.
The newspaper says instructions for the safe and the combination were inside the safe with them. It took about 12 minutes to get them out using a hydraulic spreader and saws.
The children were checked out at the scene and appeared to be OK. WXYZ-TV reports that the kids later toured the fire station, where they thanked their rescuers.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers. But he keeps hearing 'No.'
- Pence tells GOP to stop lashing out at FBI over Trump search
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- The coming California megastorm