WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Three members of the Wilmington Fire Department who died in the line of duty are being remembered as the one-year anniversary of the deadly fire approaches.
Lt. Christopher Leach and Senior Firefighter Jerry Fickes died at the scene of the Sept. 24 rowhome fire that authorities say was intentionally set. Senior Firefighter Ardythe Hope died later of her injuries.
The Wilmington News Journal reports a group of firefighters and victims’ families recently attended the annual International Association of Fire Fighters memorial observance in Colorado Springs. The families received commemorative flags at a ceremony, and their loved ones’ names were etched into a granite wall.
WDEL reports the fenced-off lot where the rowhome stood is now decorated with flowers, flags and other mementos that pay tribute.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Air New Zealand announces plan to weigh passengers before boarding
- Why orcas keep sinking boats
- Netflix restricts password sharing, leaving some angry and confused
- Tara Reade, who accused Biden of assault, says she has moved to Russia
- Store owner charged with murder in shooting of 14-year-old he wrongly accused of stealing