Share story

JAMES ISLAND, S.C. (AP) — Firefighters came across a new danger while battling a South Carolina house fire — about a dozen venomous snakes.

Local media outlets report the James Island homeowner, who works in nuisance wildlife removal, told fire crews Tuesday to be aware of up to 80 reptiles in the home’s garage. Officials say about a dozen of the reptiles were poisonous snakes.

Firefighters had the blaze under control within an hour, but they couldn’t enter the home while deadly snakes were potentially on the loose.

James Island Fire Chief Chris Seabolt says six snakes made it out alive, four of which were venomous. He says the surviving reptiles were taken to the Edisto Serpentarium.

No one was hurt in the fire.