BARRE, Vt. (AP) — Vermont fire officials say a blaze destroyed the oldest building in Barre.
The fire broke out in the building around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, with smoke filling the area. Officials say the fire was in two adjoining buildings — one of which was built in 1844 and was destroyed.
Officials say they managed to save half of the other building. One firefighter suffered minor injuries after a garage door fell on him, but officials say he is recovering at an area hospital.
Firefighters say the fire was under control around 8:30 p.m. and crews were searching for remaining hot spots.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry,’ Alex Jones tells Sandy Hook families in court
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Ex-staffer's unauthorized book about Jan. 6 committee rankles members
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- Poll: Most Democrats say ditch Biden as 2024 nominee; Trump is preferred candidate among Republicans
Authorities say there was another fire behind one of the buildings earlier in the day and are investigating if the fires are related.