NEW YORK (AP) — The Fire Department of New York says careless smoking caused a weekend fire in the city’s historic Little Italy neighborhood that hurt 13 people.
The fire Saturday morning tore through Angelo’s of Mulberry Street and apartments above it. The restaurant opened in 1902.
FDNY officials say 2 people were seriously injured and 11 people suffered minor injuries.
City Buildings Department inspectors were called in to assess damage to the structure.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The FDNY tweeted that the fire was “accidental” and was sparked by “careless discard of smoking materials.”